Sunday 4 October 2015


A last minute decision to get on the water at Seatown again yesterday afternoon provided yet another great few hours on the water. Flattest I have seen it all year and after catching a few plaice a few hundred yards out, we decided to make the most of it and paddle a mile or so out into deeper water in the hope of finding some Black Bream or Red Mullet. I trailed some tiny (size 8) Sabiki Feathers on the way out and hooked but lost a Garfish. Various drifts threw up plenty of fish including a nice Thornback Ray on one of the baited Sabiki hooks which put up a very nice scrap before being put back. Plenty of wrasse of varying species and the inevitable and disobedient Dogfish showed themselves, but it then went all mysteriously quiet. My paddling buddy Phillip Maggs had prepared himself for this and quietly set up a squid jig and proceeded to catch them in increasing numbers. Not like the little things you see in super markets - these ones were a foot or so long and were attacking aggressively and in numbers. Envy sunk in and I felt like a complete fool for dismissing the squid jig that Phil had very kindly given me before heading out. I had left it on the dashboard! The squid had clearly come in and terrorised the fish into hiding so I rather desparetly attached the only lure I had onto the 4oz ball lead and sent it plummeting. The squid hit it but I couldn't get a hook up. The lure was a very big plug with size 0/2 trebles so the hooks were being easily avoided. At one point a cuttle fish followed the lure all the way to the surface. In the end I settled for the fact that there was nothing for me to do other than try to get some of the rare kayak squid fishing experience on camera. I kept the lure out 'just in case' as I moved my boat to get the best light onto Phils Yak for the photos/filming, when all of a sudden the Plug got hit and the rod (and muy hand!) thumped down against my boat as line pulled off of the reel. I say many stupid things and my shout of "Bloody 'ell these squid don't half pull" was just another to add to my growing list. When it sunk in that I was connected to a fish I thought it must be a Bass, but it turned out to be a very chunky Pollack that barely fitted in my net. The trip back to shore was a chore and the cramp when I woke up this morning was excruciating, but the great memory of the mini fishing adventure is another one that will stick around for much, much longer. (Thanks for donating me a squid Phil - was fried up in garlic and butter when I got home and served on top of some fresh Cod. Very different to the squid that commercial catering industry sells to restaurants - thicker, more textured and perhaps a bit more similar to octopus. Bloomin' delicious!).





No comments:

Post a Comment